Thinking about buying a mobile phone from Three, or already got one? If it’s a pricey device you’re probably wondering what the best way to protect it is, and there are loads of options available to you. In this article we take a look at the pros and cons of each, but if you’ve already done your research feel free to get a quote from us by clicking the button below:
Three Mobile Insurance
You can only buy mobile phone insurance directly from Three when you first buy your phone contract or upgrade. So if you’ve already received your new mobile you might not be able to insure it with them. Full details can be found at http://www.three.co.uk/Support/three-rescue, but we’ll sum up some of the benefits below:
- Next day replacement.
- Submit a claim any time of day or week.
- High premiums
- Has to be purchased at the same time as your phone.
- High excesses
- Limited to two claims per year.
- Doesn't cover accessories.
tinhat Mobile Insurance
Our insurance is quite a bit cheaper than buying directly from Three, but unfortunately that means that we can’t offer next day replacements. Find the key pros and cons below:
- Cheaper premiums, from £4.49 a month.
- Lower excesses, from £50 for mobile phones.
- No limit on the number of claims you can make.
- Can be bought any time within 12 months after purchasing your phone.
- Also covers accessories up to the value of £150.
- Takes a few days to process claims and then provide a repair or replacement.
Home Contents Insurance
If you already have home contents insurance then you can probably add your mobile phone to the same policy. Here are some of the key pros and cons of doing so:
- Can be cheap to insure, often no more than £35 per year.
- Some home insurers will give you cash instead of a refurbished replacement.
- It's convenient to have everything under the one policy.
- Excesses tend to be very high, often around £200.
- Claiming could affect your no claims and increase your premium later on.
- Home insurers tend to take long to repair your phone.
What We Cover
Covers you for repairs and replacements to your device if it suddenly stops working outside the manufacturers warranty.
Covers you for repairs and replacements to your battery if it suddenly stops working outside of the warranty.
Covers you for any loss resulting from your device being stolen, as long as it is in your possession or stored in a secure place out of sight.
Covers you for any accidental damage to your device that results from splashes or full immersion.
This policy keeps you covered for the use of your device anywhere in the world. Unlike many insurers there is no limit on the length or number of trips.
Covers accidentally cracked screens and any other damage that prevents your device from functioning normally. Accidental damage does not cover general wear and tear or purely cosmetic damage.
Claim up to £50 per month, for up to 6 months for your Mobile Phone line rental if you lose your job through no fault of your own.
We’ll replace any accessories (up to £150) if they are damaged, stolen or lost at the same time as your device regardless of whether they were supplied with the device or not.
Covers you for the replacement of your Mobile, Tablet or Smartwatch if you accidentally lose it. Please note that loss cover isn’t available on any other types of device.
Unlike many insurance providers, we don’t limit the number of claims you can make on this policy.
If your Mobile Phone is lost or stolen we will cover up to £2,500 of unauthorised calls.
All our policies cover your device when being used by your immediate family , i.e. your mother, son or your domestic partner.
* Loss cover is only available for Mobiles, Tablets and Smartwatches.
1 Laptops not included.